Installing a Starter Motor
Author: Nationwide Autoparts Date Posted:27 September 2017
How do I diagnose a faulty starter motor?
If your starter motor is faulty your vehicle will not start. To test to see if your starter motor is the cause of your car not starting, tap on the side of the starter with a small hammer. This will help loosen the internal brushes in the case they are worn or have seized. If your car then starts, you know it's definitely the starter motor. Check that all wiring for your battery and starter are in good condition and replace ay faulty wires.
Can I install my new starter motor myself?
A starter motor should only be installed by an experienced person as at times you will be required to work under your vehicle.
How do I replace a starter motor?
To view a basic guide as to how to remove a starter motor from your vehicle, simply view our Starter Motor Installation Guide.
How do I select which starter motor matches my vehicle?
To select which starter motor matches your vehicle, simply search for your vehicles make and model using our user friendly searching navigation on our homepage. www.nationwideautoparts.com.au If you have any further questions you can contact our customer service team on 1300 529 723.
Starter Motor Installation Guide
The following is a general guide to the removal and installation of a starter motor.
WARNING: STARTER MOTORS SHOULD ONLY BE INSTALLED BY AN EXPERIENCED PERSON WHO WILL FOLLOW ALL OF THE NECESSARY SAFETY PRECAUTIONS.
YOU WILL OFTEN BE REQUIRED TO WORK FROM UNDERNEATH THE VEHICLE DURING INSTALLATION.
1. Disconnect the battery to prevent accidently touching a positive lead onto an earth point.
2. Disconnect both the plug or feed wire and the main positive off the starter motor.
3. Undo the mount bolts that connect the starter motor to the engine/gearbox. You can then remove the starter motor.
4. Check that the old starter motor matches the new unit. Swap over any extra wiring or brackets and reinstall the new starter motor.
5. Reconnect the plugs and main power lead. You can then reconnect the battery and test the starter.